Monday, June 21, 2010

WHAT INSPIRES YOU?




And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Ephesians 6:18 (NIV)

Walking is a great form of exercise, and there are many health benefits to this simple exercise. It’s easy with very little wear-and-tear on the body. It increases your metabolism, gives you energy and provides mental clarity. Oh...and best of all, it’s FREE! LOL! And the only equipment it requires is your God given left and right feet!

However for me...there are also many spiritual benefits to taking a long walk in the morning. I have found that some of my best times with the Lord have been during my morning walks. I normally walk in the neighborhood next to mine because it’s an older one with huge oak trees that provide plenty of shade. While walking I find myself praying for those who live there. I don’t know any of the people who live in this neighborhood but still I find myself praying as the Spirit leads me.

This habit came about when I started working from home. In setting up my office I placed my desk right in front of a window looking out into my front yard. For years I’d worked in a building with NO windows at all and so I was excited that I could actually “see” the day that the Lord had given me. I have to admit that setting my office up this way has been a blessing and a curse…LOL! Why the curse? Well, because I get so EASILY distracted by the simplest activity outside of my window!!! Anyway, I digress....

Early into my new work routine from home, I began to notice a young woman walking down my street with her caregiver every morning. The woman was about my age and she had a son who was maybe a year younger than my daughter. She walked very slowly with a cane, and a serious limp, but she kept walking. (I later learned that she was a single mom who had suffered a major stroke a year earlier). One day as she was walking by, I made the decision that whenever I saw her, I would pray for her. Daily she walked—and daily I prayed for her progress and recovery, her son, and her caregiver.

Then one day the Holy Spirit convicted me...if she can walk, then you can too.

So, I started walking. I would get up, walk my daughter Mali to the bus stop and then once she was on the bus, I would take a walk in the neighborhood that is next to mine. And while I walked, I would pray. Sometimes, I would find myself praying for the kids waiting for their buses. Other times I would pray for protection of the homes while everyone was away at work or school. Sometimes if I saw someone in their yards, I would pray for them and their family specifically. However the Spirit led me, I would pray.

Regretfully, over the past year, I haven’t walked as much as I used too. I got out of the routine—mostly because I just got lazy and stopped. And when I started my fitness routine back up, it was to train for my 5K and well, honestly, there is no way I could pray while running…LOL!
It wasn’t until I began writing this blog that I remembered why I used to walk, and how I got started. And most of all, how much I enjoyed it.

I was just telling my sister this week that I wanted to get back into the habit of going to the gym in the mornings to walk on the treadmill, but now while the weather is warm, I think I will start back with my prayer walks instead. Thank you Holy Spirit for bringing this back to my remembrance!

I would also like to challenge you to do the same. Yes, to start going on a prayer walk for your neighborhood. Even if it’s only one day or evening a week. I promise you will be blessed by it and so will those who you are led to pray for.



Happy walking until next time!
Sasha

I will be back on Monday, July 5th, hope to see you then!


Tuesday's Blog: Maria will be bringing us, "Life Unscripted"

1 comment:

Tovah said...

very inspiring story miss sasha