Monday, March 29, 2010

WEIGHING IN ......




Over the years I have tried many different diet plans...Weight Watchers, Physician’s Weight Loss, Atkins....and most have been successful as long as I stuck to the plan. However, the minute I got off track the weight came back plus some. Very frustrating! I have finally come to the conclusion that diets don’t work!

I’ve been doing a lot of research on developing a healthier lifestyle because while I want to lose the weight, I don’t want to diet anymore. I have also been doing a lot of praying about it. “Lord, show me Your Will and Your Way” has been my prayer. For years, I have tried to lose this weight on my own and in my own way. I never thought to ask God for help in this area before because I fell into the “get thin quick” mindset that the world has to offer. (Okay, Okay, I admit I have had the, “do it my way” mindset and forget to consult God first about many things...but TODAY, we are talking about dieting!!) Sure, I have asked God to help me with my appetite...or to take away the hunger pain when I was on a diet....and to not let me have a gain when I get to the Weight Watchers meeting after my big weekend binge. (LOL) The truth of the matter is....I am so, so tired of being a failure in this area and so I finally realized that I needed to totally surrender my will in this area to God’s Will. I cried out to the Lord this prayer....“Lord, show me Your Will and Your Way....I don’t believe it’s Your desire for me to be fat and unhealthy so please, show me how to do this”.

Soon after that prayer, a very good friend of mine posted a very inspiring blog about her son being diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease and the path that God directed her and her husband to take in order for him to be healed from it. The Lord led them to Daniel 1:8-16 and long story short, they cut out processed foods from their diets and as a result, they have been able to see positive progress towards their son’s healing. I was so inspired by my friends testimony and it got me to thinking…God didn’t give us processed foods...could this be the cause of so many digestive diseases and obesity? In my opinion....I think it is. (A lot of research studies seem to support this theory as well.) Is this the direction that God wants me to take? I’m thinking it is!

Eliminate the processed foods....that’s it! It’s not the fruits, veggies or meats that made me fat...it’s the cookies, candy, PEPSI (my addiction), McDonald’s French Fries, Domino’s Pizza etc that made me fat! Eliminate these things and I will lose the weight. But wait a minute....isn’t this the basis of most diet plans? Well, yes....but to me, it just sounds better and it makes sense when it comes from God than from Jenny Craig…know what I mean? Plus, it just doesn’t sound as restricting when He points it out.

Since then, I have been trying to learn more about “unprocessed” foods. I’ve bought some natural food type magazines and I’ve been checking out a lot of websites in order to educate myself on healthier foods (ie herbs, whole grains, etc). I have to confess though...I haven’t successfully made the transition yet but I continue to pray and ask God for the ability to make these changes and for the wisdom to know what is good/beneficial for me to eat and what isn’t. With His help, little by little, I am making progress towards this lifestyle change.

My purpose in writing today isn’t to discourage anyone from following any particular type of diet plan. Many people have achieved weight loss success on all of the diet plans that I mentioned earlier...I’m just not one of them. My purpose is to encourage anyone who is struggling…like me, to find their way on their weight loss journey by first seeking the Lord and to trust Him to give you a plan. In fact, Sister, Trust God and surrender every part of your life to HIM. Surrender to His Will and His Way and He will direct your path. This applies to ALL areas of your life. God loves you and wants you to be successful...just ask Him to show you the path to take to reach that success and I promise you, He will do it!

One of the greatest discoveries that I have made since beginning this Fit by Forty journey is that life is so much easier and far more fulfilling now that I have totally surrendered every single part of my life to him....I hope that I can encourage all woman to believe that and to try it for themselves. *smile*



Until the next time,
Sasha

I'll be back Monday, April 12th!


Tuesday's Blog: Maria joins us with more "Life Unscripted"

No comments: