Monday, March 15, 2010

Happy Birthday!!....much more than mere words!




Today is a very special day to me because it marks another year of life for a very special person in my life, my dad. Dad turns 68 years old today! (Happy Birthday Daddy!). I always tend to get very reflective and emotional during the days and weeks surrounding my father’s birthday. I praise God for my dad’s life and am so grateful that he is still here with me today because if it had not been for God’s Grace and His Mercy...my dad would not be here today. You see 5 years ago my dad decided that after suffering from depression for many years that he didn’t want to live any more and made yet another unsuccessful attempt to commit suicide...the 3rd time over a 3 year time period.

I want to take the time today to talk about a health issue that affects many women in the body of Christ but goes ignored because of the stigma that is attached to it....that health issue being “Mental Illness”. Specifically, let’s talk about depression. Depression has been called the “common cold” of mental orders and it has been estimated that it disrupts the lives of 15 million Americans each year. The majority of these people are women. Many of us have suffered from situational depression over disappointments in our lives and fortunately, we were able to “bounce back” from those moments. However, for some, depression can be a crippling disease most often brought on through clinical imbalances/biological causes and often times needing medication in order to help deal with it. Unfortunately, nearly two-thirds of women who do experience this kind (clinical depression) never seek treatment.

What are some of the symptoms of depression in Women?
*persistent sadness, anxious, or "empty" moods
*loss of interest or pleasure in activities, including sex
*restlessness, irritability, or excessive crying
*feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness, hopelessness, pessimism
*sleeping too much or too little, early-morning awakening
*appetite and/or weight loss or overeating and weight gain
*decreased energy, fatigue, feeling "slowed down"
*thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts
*difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions
*persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, such as
headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain

If you or someone that you love is experiencing any of the symptoms and the symptoms have persisted for more than 2 weeks or if the symptoms are interfering with your work, school or family life, you may be suffering from depression and should see treatment. Please don’t ignore it.

When my father made his first attempt at suicide, it was devastating for me. For the first time, I was forced into dealing with dad’s illness. Before “that day” I never took his issues seriously...in fact, there were times that I resented him because I couldn’t figure out why he couldn’t just “get his act together”. I couldn’t understand how he could spend HOURS in the bed at a time nor could I understand his lack of desire to interact with the family as he should. I couldn’t understand his irritability at times and his erratic behavior. I knew that he was depressed but I thought it should be easy for him to “shake it off”. Shoot, he just needed to spend more time in church, more time in the Word and he needed to pray without ceasing. Where was his faith???

I believe that it was through our prayers and our faith that my father is delivered (and I also believe that it was through those same prayers that I was delivered from such thinking)....but it was through MANY years of praying and keeping the faith...and many doctors and different medications as well. (Lord, I continue to Thank and Praise YOU!) Once we (my dad and family) came to the realization that this was a medical condition no different than diabetes, hypertension etc, then we could help my dad get the help and treatment that he so desperately needed. I believe that it was through our many years of fasting, praying and standing on our faith of who God is that God healed my dad by putting the right doctors and therapists in his life to treat him. I believe it was through our fasting, praying and standing on our faith that God gave them the wisdom and the knowledge to put him on the right medications and to successfully help him through this process. However, did you notice that I initially said that my dad attempted suicide 3 different times over 3 years? Goes to show you....it was a long hard road. But God is Faithful and He gave us the strength to endure. Thank you Lord!!

There may be someone who is reading this blog right now who is experiencing the kind of pain/depression/hopelessness that my dad once felt. Sister, don’t give up....know that God really loves you and wants you to be set free. He wants you to have the joy and the peace that you may have given up on. He has people already strategically set up all around you to help you on your road to recovery but you have to trust Him to do so. My prayer is that the Spirit of God will put into your mind the name of the person, church or facility that you can call right now to ask for help and that He will give you the courage to go to that person or to call that number and tell them that you need help, right now. I’m believing that God has that person on standby that He is giving them the wisdom to take the next steps with you.

There may be someone reading today who knows of someone who is suffering from depression. Don’t ignore it any longer! I pray that today is the day that God gives you the courage to go to that person and that He will also give you the wisdom and knowledge to find the resources that you need to help this love one. I also pray that you will not become discouraged and that your faith is strong to help you endure the process.

National Suicide Hotlines USA
Toll-Free / 24 hours a day / 7 days a week
1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
1-800-273-TALK(1-800-273-8255 )

Special drawing: for the book “Honestly” by Sheila Walsh. Many of you know her from the “Women of Faith Conference” or even as far back as a host on the 700 Club. Her book is about her journey and struggle to be free from depression. Please send and email your name, city and state to thekitchentable2010@yahoo.com by Wednesday, March 17th, 8pm ET USA. The winner will have to supply a mailing address for the book to be shipped directly to them, and you have 5 days to claim your prize after you are notified that you have won. The winner will be announced in Thursday’s blog


In Christ,
Sasha

My run is getting closer, so don't forget to keep checking in to see how things are going. I'll be back, Monday, March 29th. See you soon!!

Tuesday's Blog: Maria, "Life Unscripted"

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Sasha
Thank you for writing about this. Depression is a topic many choose to not talk about because of the stigma of mental illness. I'm sure someone will be helped and encouarged by your post.