Saturday, January 9, 2010

Procrastinators Unite…….Tomorrow



pro•cras•ti•nate: To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness. To postpone or delay needlessly

Let’s face it, we all procrastinate. Whether it’s that big English paper due at the end of the week, or that presentation your boss wants by Monday. We’ve all gone through the process of putting a task off until later, especially if that task is unappealing to us. Being a teenager I deal with procrastination on a daily basis. I’ve often found myself in trouble for waiting until the last minute to do a chore, or not finishing a paper until the night before it’s due. Procrastination is something that everyone struggles with, not just teenagers, and it can be difficult to overcome.

I like to think of procrastination as a form of the “empty self.” The “empty self” is when we only focus on things that make us happy, and not on the world around us. It’s like thinking “I’m not gonna do that thing right now because it makes me happier to do it later,” or “Why should I do that now when I can do it in 2 hours? Is it that much of a difference?” (I’m guilty of thinking this way sometimes) This thought process becomes a never ending cycle of things getting done late or not getting done at all.

I actually find myself procrastinating right now as I am writing this blog. Rather than typing I was playing solitaire and checking on Facebook. Procrastination is like a thief, in that it always steals something away from us. My mom has a saying, “Procrastination will always rob you blind.” When we put something off until tomorrow, we are taking a huge risk because tomorrow brings its own set of problems and other things that need to be done. The next day is not guaranteed to any of us, and procrastination in itself is a big gamble.

A synonym for procrastination is laziness. What prevents us from doing things at a certain time? It is often because we are too lazy or comfortable to extend ourselves out of our comfort zone and get up off our butts and do it! Proverbs 10:4 says “Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth.” Procrastination and laziness will rob us of the wealth that God wants to supply us with, and will also deem us as irresponsible in His eyes. I don’t think that any of us wants God to think that we are irresponsible and cannot be trusted with the blessings that He has planned for us.

The thing is we can’t conquer procrastination by ourselves. But we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Isaiah 41: 10 says “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” God knows the flaws that we all have to overcome, and He is there to help us every step of the way. I hope that this has encouraged you to begin to fight to overcome the spirit of procrastination, and any other bad habits that you may need to take care of to make 2010 a better and productive year for you. I’m working on it!


Peace Out!
Tovah


My next blog: Saturday, January 23rd, check you out then!

Tune in next Saturday, for Lyida..."Life of an 18 year old"

Monday's blog: Sharon Dainels..."Women & Their Finances"

7 comments:

princeton princess said...

Tovah, that was an amazing first post! I'm a procastratinator too, and this article made me a little bit more aware of it. Maybe next time I'm writing a paper, I'll stop with being Facebook and do something productive, instead.

I'm excited for your next post! :)

PS. I loved the Bibe verses you used!

RISE777 said...

Tovah what a wonderful aticle, you have a gift young lady and it is evident in your writing. I am one of the many Scarlett O'hara's that says," I will think about it tomorrow, tomorrow is another day>"

I really enjoyed and learned from what you wrote. I look forward to your next article.

Unknown said...

Excellent! I too am guilty of being lazy (let's call it what it is). I will join with you and fight it in 2010.

Cheryl

Shelley said...

Great job sis!

MsB1908 said...

Tovah, I had to stop and laugh at myself while reading your post. I have book club tomorrow at 4pm. Have I finished reading the book? NO! Should I be reading it now? YES!
My name is Sasha and I too am a Procrastinator! No let me go read some Toni Morrison....Great Blog!

Rita said...

Hey Tovah,

yeah I'm guilty (head hanging down!). Man I even procrastinate packing. Isnt' that crazy? You would think after all these years of traveling to different countries I'd get it together.
Well, your article helped me to no that this is not a good thing and I need to do better. I'm 43 but I figure it's never too old to learn!
Thanks for a great article!!

Maria Guzman said...

Tovah,

AMEN! This is so true! There are times when I procrastinate and fall into the same things of rushing to get things done.

Thank you for this message. It goes to show that I'm not alone :)

Blessings, Maria