Tuesday, September 28, 2010

TODAY......




Saturday, September 25th…a dear friend is saying “Goodbye” to her mother. Another friend is partying with friends and family from different parts of the country, celebrating her “40th birthday.” Another friend is playing at a wedding and I’m under the weather.

I find it very fascinating how in the same day lives can be so very different.

Saturday was an Ecclesiastes 3:4 day for sure; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance. There were tears of joy at the weeding, laughter and dancing, and maybe a little mourning on the parent’s side as their daughter was now a married lady and no longer their little girl. The birthday celebration also had tears of joy and much laughter. The “Farewell until I see you in glory” had tears of sorrow and maybe some of joy, for our sister Gladys is now in a better place and healed. There might even have been some bitter sweet tears of laughter as old times were remembered, but there still remains a time to mourn.

Monday, September 27th….out of the four examples I used, I was probably the only one who was trying to rush the day away. Why? I didn’t feel well and I looked forward to my healing as the days passed by. I guess I would have to say for me, I was mourning the loss of my plans for the weekend (wasn’t up to doing them) and the loss of my body feeling at it’s best. I didn’t laugh much nor did I cry. I guess I could have put on some music and danced? Naw, my head was too stuffy for that, so I would have to sum it all up to a day of mourning about what could have been.

I believe that the birthday girl and the bride probably wished they could have frozen their day in time for all the joy they had and the sister who said, “Goodbye” knew it was a day that had to be and there was no getting around it. So, it seems that I was the only one who really didn’t appreciate the day that was gifted me. I don’t remember being all that grateful or being filled with thanksgiving. Hummm, how easy it is to slip into old mindsets and behaviors. I wasn’t really living in Saturday so much as to what Sunday would bring. But the tricky part here is….Sunday was never promised to me, so I would have to say, “I missed out.”

Missing out is what we do when we forget to live in “Today.” Why? Well, for a host of different reasons, but I think Jesus sums it up the best, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matt 6:34)

Our birthday girl found a lump in her breast a few weeks ago and considered canceling her celebration plans. Why? For a minute she was worrying about tomorrow instead of dealing with the trouble (lump found) of that day. After deciding to live in “today” she didn’t cancel her upcoming celebration and it turned out that she had so much to celebrate. (Her outcome: a cyst not a cancerous tumor—Praise God!) But her initial reaction was not unique; in fact it was most typical of how we react as humans. She was first scared and then began to let her imagination run wild; to the point she had a scenario where she would not be able to attend her celebration. This is what Jesus is trying to save us from — jumping off the deep end, when a crisis appears and times are tough. Worrying about things we cannot change and worrying about things we know nothing about. Really, what do we know about tomorrow? We may have hopes and plans for tomorrow, but there are no guarantees.

Today is Tuesday, September 28th…..are you handling today or worrying about tomorrow?


Love & Hugs
Ponnie


Wednesday's Blog: Ponnie, "Single & Loving It!"



No comments: