Thursday, September 9, 2010

Time for "ME"!




The best part of homeschooling that I loved with Tovah was anything that had to do with the arts and meeting new people. It’s August and we are busy about the business of setting up all the outside activities for my granddaughter. But one thing I learned and remember as if it were yesterday is the need to make sure I have consistent activities for myself too.

As women we have the tendency to let ourselves slip to the bottom of the list, and if you have read any of my other blogs than you know, I push, push, push for women to place themselves at the top, because of the potential benefits for you and your family are endless.

This blog won’t post until September and by then our homeschooling will be in full swing, so I’m trying to come up with a plan just for me, especially when the weather is nice. My definition of nice, is—not to cold, snow or ice and not hot and humid. LOL!! I am looking forward to the fall weather and I want to get out and enjoy as much of it as I possibly can.

Thus far I have broken it down into categories of what I need and what I want. It is a good tool to be able to distinguish the two. Helps us to stay out of trouble with wrong thinking!

What I Need:

I need physical exercise. Hum, what would that look like? Maybe a Zumba class twice a week with a girlfriend. Yes, every since I talked to Jennifer about her Zumba class, I have been interested. I love to dance, and have a friend who thinks dancing the pounds off will be fun.

Weekly time for me could be something as simple as taking the 20 minute bus ride to Center City (Philly’s downtown area) and hanging out at a coffee or tea house with a good book. Catching a noon day matinee from time-to-time also would be fun.

I need a midweek destresser and my favorite is a hot bubble bath in my spa tub…ahhhhh!!! Don’t bother much taking baths during the summer, I need cool refreshing showers, but when the weather cools, I love a nice bath. Midweek for me would consist of: I don’t have to concern myself with dinner, hot bath and no company in my bedroom and no knocks on the door. ~Smile~

What I Want:

I want to be able to attend a couple of live performances, such as a jazz show, a musical, a play and one ballet production by myself.

Attend the “Women of Faith” conference in October.

Hanging out at least once a month with one of my girlfriends, without a time limit and crossing the state line here and there.

Seems simple enough, but will I be able to make sure it plays out? We can’t be sure about anything in life except our salvation, but “if God wills” I’m gonna do my best to make sure, “Me” time is right at the top of the list and stays there.

Calling all “Homeschool Moms” to make time for yourselves where you can to laugh, relax and get your thoughts together. You’re worth it!

Special note: I will be attending the Women of Faith conference this weekend, thanks to Esther-Marie who has blessed me with a ticket for the full weekend. This blog was written August 8th and she did not have access to read it until today. I am very grateful to God and her. We never know how God is going to handle a situation, so don’t become discouraged sisters and give up.


Love & Hugs
Ponnie

Next Thursday: It's Cheryl's turn, so be sure to tune in to see how it's going with homeschooling two boys this year!


Friday's Blog: A powerful special on Depression & Suicide


No comments: