Friday, August 2, 2013

Some Water....Some Plant

I had a Holy Spirit “Aha” moment this past week, which if you are going to have—there is none greater!

Early May my oldest daughter purchased flowers for the front porch. The first batch of three were lovely, but the second batch didn’t look too hot. In fact they were trying to give them away…3 for $10! I was a little disappointed but gracefully accepted them because it was now the beginning of June and I didn’t have half as many flowers as I did this time last year

After a week or two, all the beautiful peach colored flowers fell off my favorite plant from the first batch and there wasn’t one bud to be found anywhere! I kept watering it and making sure it received good sunlight. But still no buds! Truthfully, I was upset because I didn’t have the funds to pick out the plants I wanted and started to feel sorry for myself. I know I was being ungrateful and leaning heavily on the stupid side, but let’s be honest; we can act very immature when we don’t get our way. Even at the golden age of 60!

Within a couple of weeks or so, two of the scrawny plants from the second batch began to perk up and instead of the flowers dying before they opened, they were now lush and beautiful. And just like last year my neighbors started complementing me on how pretty my flowers were. Truthfully I was surprised because I only have 6 pots and 1 hanging compared to last summer where I had 7 hanging and 10 pots! Yes, as you can see…I thought I had it going on! ~Smile~

Recently I repotted them, and not too soon I must add. They were all outgrowing their original plastic pots. But the greatest reward for me was my favorite was suddenly full of buds and new orange blossoms!!! (See picture at top left)

Was I excited? You bet!!! Why? Because, I watered and planted, and God was faithful to give the increase as promised. And what a beautiful job He did! I’m new at all this. Being a city girl, this is only my second summer trying to make the front porch homey and colorful with potted flowers. It was one of the things I really love about moving to the burbs.

Initially I was so impressed with the plant I call my “favorite” just the way we often are with people at first glance. Their appearance, the way they talk and smell can be very hypnotic and enticing. Exactly like the beautiful aromatic flowers on my “favorite”. But all that initial excitement can quickly fade away, (just like the blossoms on my plant) once we get to know the real them. And let’s not forget the two scrawny plants I felt weren’t going to make it. At first glance they just didn’t seem to have what it took and were not impressive at all.

When people don’t look or talk the way we think they should or are accustomed to, we are quick to reject them. The end result of this misjudgment is…we usually miss out on great opportunities and fellowship. In fact some of us have been on the end of the rejection. Maybe our skin is too dark, or our hair is different. Our clothes may not be up-to-date or the most fashionable. The car we drive (though running well) may look more like an ugly duckling than a swan. But I ask, “Who do you think God has more compassion for—the one being misjudged or the one judging?”

My family is blessed to reap the benefits of someone else’s planting and watering and we have beautiful perennials on the side of the house which last year bloomed in early June and lasted until late October. This year they bloomed on queue in June but because of so much rain, they are now all gone and it is only July. But I have high hopes they will return next year. That’s the way life is for us sometimes—seasons of rain, which can take a toll on us. That’s the bad news, but the good news is, with each changing season and God’s increase we come back beautiful, stronger and healthier than ever.

If I had been quick to give up on three of my plants, my porch would be bare right now. But the saddest part would be missing out on the sweet fragrance two of them give in the evenings. And the daily beauty they all bring—rain or shine.

It’s the same for us in our relationships. We should not want to miss out on the beauty that could emerge from one who at first glance didn’t seem to have much to offer. Or one we gave up on because it was taking too long for them to get it. Who knows, there may come a time when we would benefit from the sweet smell of their souls to be encouraged in our own walk, but we didn’t hang around long enough to partake of God’s increase.

My dear sisters, we can’t be too quick to give up on the work God is doing in others and even in ourselves. God’s timing is key, not ours. He gives the increase when He is ready, or better yet—when we are ready.

As Paul said in I Corinthians 3:6-8…. 6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. (NIV)


Look for a blog next week, until then….be blessed!!

Love & Hugs
Ponnie

No comments: